This article is quoted from: An Illustrated history of North Idaho : embracing Nez Perces, Idaho, Latah, Kootenai and Shoshone counties, State of Idaho - Pg. 814
Boundary County Surnames: Lena Mervin, E. E. Gilson, W. E. R. Brewster, L. P. Cole, Charles F. Fischer.
SOME GREAT NORTHERN AND KOOTENAI VALLEY RAILROAD STATIONS.
Great Northern Railroad
Leonia is on the Montana state line about fifteen miles southeast of Bonner's Ferry and ninety miles from the county seat. It is the center of a fine lumbering region. Lena Mervin is postmistress. E. E. Gilson runs a hotel. The Leonia Mercantile Company, of which W. E. R. Brewster is manager, has a large general store and a good trade.
Katka is the next station west, distant six miles from Leonia.
Crossport is a small station four miles east of Bonner's Ferry.
Moravia is about the same distance southwest of Bonner's Ferry.
Naples is the next station south. The White Mercantile Company has a general store here.
Elmira is about fifteen miles north of Sandpoint. Colburn is about half way between Sandpoint and Elmira.
Urencoe Station (or Markham postoffice) is west of Sandpoint at the extreme foot of Lake Pend Oreille.
La Clede. on the Pend Oreille river, is twenty-eight miles north of Rathdrum. It has a population of per- haps one hundred and fifty. Mining and lumbering are its industries. Jerome M. Bunker is postmaster; a blacksmith shop is owned by Charles Bradbury ; a general store is conducted by Mrs. B. Cass : A. Christenson has a general store and ships poles ; R. H. Graves runs a restaurant; Fred Burdick is justice of the peace ; the town has a good hotel, the La Clede. The large general store of the La Clede Lumber Company, of which J. M. Bunker is president, William A. Burdick, secretary, and Mr. McKinney manager, was totally destroyed by fire in the early morning of March 15, 1903. The store also contained the postoffice and in the upper story was a large public hall. The loss on the building was about twenty thousand dollars. The stock of general merchandise, which was almost en- tirely destroyed, was valued at six thousand dollars.
Albany Falls is about two miles from the Washington state line. It is about thirty miles northwest of Rathdrum and four miles west of Priest River. This will develop into a thriving place in the future, as the falls in the Pend Oreille river will furnish immense power, which will no doubt be utilized sooner or later by mills and factories. On the north bank of the river and ex- tending three miles to the east, is an immense deposit of aluminum clay, from which the finest grades of brick may be manufactured. The settlement is in school district No. 24, which was organized August 30, 1892. The present valuation of the school property is about eight hundred dollars. The settlement has good prospects.
Newport is but two miles west of Albany Falls and is directly on the boundary line between Idaho and Washington. A portion of the town is in each state. It is surrounded by rich mineral lands, fine timber belts and numerous valleys of fertile agricultural lands. It has in addition peculiar advantages as a pleasure resort. The scenery is enchanting and the excellent hunting and fishing afforded by the nearby mountain valleys and streams, and the Pend Oreille river, make the locality truly a sportsman's paradise. It has general stores, long distance telephone connections, good schools and churches, and will grow in population and importance, as the surrounding country is developed.
Kootenai Valley railroad
Copeland is a station on the Kootenai Valley railroad, north of Bonner's Ferry. The International boundary line is about seven miles directly north. It is about ten miles southeast of Porthill, seventy miles northeast of the county seat and one hundred and eight miles northeast of Spokane. The postoffice was established July 1. 1900, with L. P. Cole as postmaster. Mr. Cole is also manager of a general store, conducted under the firm of L. P. Cole & Company. Among the prominent settlers of this locality is Charles F. Fischer, who is interested in the reclamation of the swamp lands of the Kootenai valley, and in the development of other resources of the country.